Before you begin searching for information, make sure you understand the legal situation or problem.
- Analyse the problem.
- Identify the relevant facts.
- Identify the key legal issues.
- Plan your research strategy - what are the key concepts/keywords and possible sources you may need to use?
- Find Secondary sources to gain an overview of the key concepts/legal issues.
- Use Primary sources to locate relevant legislation and cases - this is your key focus of research.
- Evaluate your sources. Check for currency - make sure that your information is current.
- Broaden your search using journals and core texts.
- Document your research process as you go.