Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
© University of the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia | ABN 28 441 859 157 | CRICOS Provider No. 01595D
This is a Snowball Metric. For more information on Snowball Metrics, click here.
Citation Count and Citations per Output
Citation Count sums the citations received to date in the data source.
Differences in the Citation Count between data sources are due to differing coverages (title and dates) of the database.
Sometimes Citation Counts will be displayed in a table with years – the years are always the year in which the output was published and do not refer to the year in which the citation was received.
Citation Count metrics are useful to benchmark visibility where researchers are from similar fields or disciplines and with similar career lengths.
Citations per Output
Citations per Output calculates the number of citations received to date by each output.
Sometimes Citations per Output will be displayed in a table with years – the years are always the year in which the output was published and do not refer to the year in which the citation was received.
Citations per Output metrics are useful to benchmark the average impact of outputs within a body of work, and to compare the average influence of outputs within similar fields or disciplines.
The most common tools for calculating Citation Counts are...
- Web of Science
- Google Scholar My Citations
- USC Research Bank
Citation Counts in Scopus
Connect to Scopus
When you get to the main Scopus search screen:
- Click the Author Search tab (instead of the default Document search)
- Enter surname and first initial in the labelled boxes
- Enter "University of the Sunshine Coast" into the Affiliation box
- Press Search
- Click the profile name that you are searching. Note that authors with only one document are hidden from view - in order to search for these as well, click the Show Profile Matches with One Document link at the top of the results list
- The overall citation count is displayed here:
- To see your citations per output, view the document list from your author page:
Citation Counts in SciVal
Connect to SciVal (if you haven't already, you will need to set up an account with an email and password).
- Click on the Overview module
- Click on either Institutions and Groups or Researchers and Groups
- Select the institution, group or researcher you wish to search
- Select the date range and/or subject area
- Click on the Cited tab