Skip to Main Content
It looks like you're using Internet Explorer 11 or older. This website works best with modern browsers such as the latest versions of Chrome, Firefox, Safari, and Edge. If you continue with this browser, you may see unexpected results.
© University of the Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia | ABN 28 441 859 157 | CRICOS Provider No. 01595D
What is EndNote Online?
EndNote Online is a bibliographic citation manager.
What does that mean?
A bibliographic citation is any reference to a book, journal article, video, or other source that you might use in an academic paper or article. EndNote Online allows you to manage those citations by saving, organizing, and formating them into a bibliography or reference list in your assignment.
What will it do for me?
- Imports sets of references found in database searches
- Inserts references into your assignment and automatically formats them in the correct style
- Allows you to share sets of references with others (great for group assignments)
What won't it do?
- It won't teach you how to reference correctly; you need to know how to do that before using any citation manager
- It won't make a correct reference if you enter incorrect data, or enter it in the wrong place
Should I use it?
- If you do not use many references it might be easier to type them in manually
- Endnote is a computer program and it does take a little time to learn and gain proficiency so you must decide if it will be worth the effort
- It is most likely to be useful to 2nd, 3rd or later year students writing assignments with substantial numbers of references.
- Honours and research postgraduate students should consider using the desktop version of Endnote (download the installer software from the Installation page) rather than (or as well as) Endnote (online) as it has some useful extra features
EndNote desktop vs. EndNote online
EndNote (desktop) is a software program for referencing which is installed on a computer. EndNote (online or Basic) is the web version of that software and requires no downloading or installation (aside from the optional plugins). USC students and staff can use EndNote Basic freely, but if you leave the University your Endnote basic access will cease to work with USC resources.
USC also has a software site licence for the installed version of Endnote and it is pre-installed on all Library (and many other computer lab) PCs.
It is easy to export/import sets of references in either direction between Endnote (online) and Endnote desktop using Endnote's Sync function.
NOTE: The Library provides installed Endnote software to all USC staff and students but only provides personal support for desktop Endnote to honours students, research postgraduates and staff.
Undergraduates should use Endnote Online on their personal computers, but may use either Endnote or Endnote (online) on USC campus computers.
EndNote Web Links
Web of Science This link opens in a new window
Register for EndNote (online) within the WoS database.