1. Go to Google Scholar
2. Select Advanced Search (drop down arrow)
3. Type essential keywords that must appear in the "with all of the words" search field
4. Type a phrase in the "" search field
5. Type alternate words in the "" search field
6. Type any words you want to exclude in the "" search field
7. Limit your search by date range (if required)
8. Select Search
9. Where available, select Full-text at USC Library to access the article.
The Advanced Search in Google Scholar gives you more control over your search to find relevant results.