This text below is adapted from information on Endnote's help tool.
EndNote allows you to synchronize the references in your EndNote library with the references in your EndNote Online library:
- The Sync process automatically synchronizes both sets of references that reside in groups so that an exact match exists in both EndNote and Endnote Online.
- The Sync process is always initiated from EndNote. The data in EndNote and Endnote Online are synchronized in both applications when you run Sync. You will have identical groups and references when Sync completes processing.
- The Sync process includes all data changes to references (including file attachments) during the Sync process so that each library matches the other. For example, if you add or remove references and/or PDF files in EndNote, then those changes are updated in Endnote Online and vice-versa.
- The Sync process includes updates and additions to groups in both libraries. For example, if you create and add references to a new group in EndNote, then you will see this group in Endnote Online the next time you run the Sync process.
Sync Preferences allow you to set your preferences so that:
- You do not have to enter your e-mail address and password each time you synchronize your references between EndNote and Endnote Online.
- You can update your EndNote library with your Endnote Online library whenever you open or close your default EndNote library.
- You can have EndNote automatically begin the Sync process every 15, 30, or 60 minutes (or manually if you prefer).
To access Sync Preferences:
- Go to the Edit menu
- Select Preferences
- Click Sync in the list of preferences.
Important Points to Know about the Sync Process
- You can create an Endnote Online library of up to 50,000 references and up to 5 GB (gigabytes) of data in file attachments.
- Sync includes groups and group associations but does not include group sets, smart groups, and groups within combination groups. These will be added in a later release.
- Sync will put groups where a group set cannot be identified in an Unfiled Groups set. Drag and drop the group to the appropriate group in the desktop library.
You can select any EndNote library that you created with EndNote, version 8.0 or above to synchronize with your Endnote Online library.
- You can change an EndNote library in Sync Preferences at any time. The Sync process begins automatically when you click OK.
- All file attachments that you transferred in an earlier version of EndNote are replaced with the actual file attachments.
- Sync works with only one library and one Endnote Online account.
- Transfer and Sync used together with mixed versions can result in duplicates. Use Find Duplicates when this occurs to remove duplicates
- Sync will identify transferred references as duplicates. Use Find Duplicates when this occurs.
- Sync includes references that have been moved to the Trash group. If you have references that were moved to Trash in the desktop version, those references will be moved to Trash group in the Web version.
- You cannot synchronize an EndNote library with your Endnote Online library when you are in Online Only mode.
- You can always cancel a Sync process that is currently in progress. However, EndNote processes all information that has gone through the Sync process up to the cancellation point. If there are conflicts between references in EndNote and Endnote Online, then a Sync Conflicts folder appears in the Groups panel listing all record conflicts
- If you have a ResearcherID account, then your My Publications list and Publication Lists 1 and 2 will be displayed in Unfiled Groups. You can create a ResearcherID group set in the desktop library and drag and drop those groups into it.